Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Fantroid!

A new portroids section, or concept, or robotic-sounding amalgam (or whatever you will) has been created. I mean, the section hasn't actually been created yet, but it will be ... soon. It's Fantroids! Portroids of fans of portroids who have no other connection to me other than their fandom of all that is portroids. It's complicated, but just go with it.

Over the years I've received many an e-mail. Some of those e-mails include a message the likes of: "There should be a portroid of me." And I agree. There should be a portroid of you, stranger.

I often reply with this very sentiment. And until recently, no one has taken me up on the challange ... until recently.

On September 30, I received one of my typical e-mails: you're so great, I love your site, how did you get to be so awesome, there should be a portroid of me (the content of the e-mail has been changed to protect the intellectual property of the sender as well as to exaggerate the praise toward me).

In my typical fashion, I replied to the effect of "glad you like the site, you're right there should be a portroid of you, where do you live, maybe someday I'll be in your town, I agree I'm awesome, blah, blah, blah."

In typical fashion, my reply was met with silence. Happens all the time.

Time passes.

Time comes for my weekly ego-search. Yahoo.com search portroids. What have we here? Some new links of people talking about portroids. I click a new one and I'm brought to a blog entry written on September 30 by the same person who e-mailed me. Being the gracious person I am, I post a comment on her blog thanking her for the mention. I also notice that she only lives about 40 minutes from me and I tell her so. Suddenly a fantroid becomes a possibility.

After another blog post, comment, e-mail, e-mail, blog post, e-mail, an arrangement is made for the very first fantroid to be taken. She and her husband will be coming to my town to do whatever it is people do when they come to my town (shop and eat and walk around and stuff, I guess) on Sunday, October 16. We make a plan to meet.

OK, by now you've probably guessed that we did indeed meet and I took portroids and about three minutes and an exciting dog/squirrel chase later, portroids history was made.

So ladies and gentlemen, I'm proud to present the very first (and maybe last?) FANTROID!!!!


This is Beth. I also took a portroid of her husband, Sam, but I don't know if he's a fan, so he doesn't get the substitute "fan" over the commonplace "por" to make "portroids" "fantroids". He does get to be on the site though, so if you want to see his picture, I'm not stopping you. It's here. See? I even made it easy for you. I'm nothing if not an enabler.

So, that's it.

That's it,

Rick

portroids@hotmail.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What does Blog mean? Does anyone know? Where did the word Blog come from? Please check out my P2P Software related site. You'll find links to the Best P2P Softwares available.

Bucky said...

Why do people insist on spaming blogs?

Bethalow said...

I am so proud...what more can I say? You're the best Rick!! ;)

Sam and Brian said...

YEAHHH!!! We love Beth and Sam!! :) Great site Rick!