Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Comic-Con Report (sort of)

DISCLAIMER/APOLOGY: As a result of the Wi-Fi not working in my hotel, this Comic-Con article is coming to you late. My sincerest apologies and I hope to make it up to you with a free awkward backrub should ever we meet (I hope we never meet).


COMIC-CON!!!!
... A Gradual Lowering Percentage* of Actual Comics

This, as you well know, was my first time attending San Diego Comic-Con International (or Comic-Con for short, or SDCC for shorter). Going into it, I spent three weeks mapping panels and events and press rooms and off-site parties and booth signings and laid them out on a firm schedule to maximize my time and provide myself with the greatest opportunity for the best possible portroids and relayable experience. Upon arrival, I disregarded my entire plan. All that effort laying the groundwork was invaluable (that means "very valuable") for what ultimately became a much more rounded and free-flowing course of action and interaction (that does not mean "very teraction").

Over the course of the four day convention (Thursday-Sunday, July 22-25, 2010), I took 66 new portroids. That's an average of some number* per day!! I know you're very eager to see these Polaroid portraits and I don't blame you, but I'm writing this from an airport and don't have a means for scanning them here (sorry I'm not some sort of superhero with the lackluster power of remote image scanning (maybe some day, but that day is not this day)).

Alongside those 66 portroids, I saw countless* celebrities, either previously or never-before portroided, who, for one reason or another, I did not get/take the chance to engage in the portroidial arts (now I am just making words up). It seems you'd like some examples of "one reason or another". Fine. One reason: venue/circumstances unconducive (that means "not conducive"). Another: babies. With each situation, I had to measure the restrictions, both personal and proximal, and take each dismal failure with resigned understanding (that, surprisingly, does mean "not derstanding").

Since you seem to love to hear about my portroid failures, here are a few for your sick (though not derstandable) schadenfreude: Nick Frost, Michael Cera, Alex Winter, Will Ferrell, Stan Lee, Nathan Fillion, Brandon Routh, Peter Mayhew, etc. (the list goes on and on*)

Now, unless you've been closely following my Twitter feed, you probably don't know about my amazing successes. I like to focus on those instead. I was so very pleased with all of my interactions and the portroids I was able to take. Here are some examples of those: Danny DeVito, Lloyd Kaufman, Seth Rogen, Peter Serafinowizc, Maggie Q, Erik Estrada, Stephen Tobolowsky, Jason Schwartzman, etc. (the list goes on and on for whatevs** 66 minus 8 is*)

Over the next few days, I will be posting up all of my new portroids, complete with stories about the events (yes, even including*** NBC's new series "The Event") surrounding them. So, please return to this site to read about it and see the photos. I think you'll be pleased (if I know you at all, that is, which, as we already established, I do not (still ... come back to see them)). I discovered that no one possibly could have the exact same Comic-Con (SDCC) experience, so if you're willing to hear (read "read") it, I will be telling mine.

Until then, farewell,
Rick
rick@portroids.com



* math is hard.
** short for "whatever"
*** very cluding

No comments: